Hello Friends, I am so thankful for each one of you and I pray God is doing awesome things in your lives! I hope you enjoy reading my new blog, which will replace my old website, especially since I get to tell you more exciting news about Ecuador VERY soon! Read on to find out...
True story: I was substitute-teaching one day, when I randomly learned that the school counselor worked at a school I had applied to in Ecuador. Then, I learned that one of the teachers was a friend of a pastor who used to be the principal of the same school. I thought that was very cool, but then my parents randomly met the very same pastor in a coffee shop! So, we met together and shared Ecuador experiences and then another guy who this pastor had known in Ecuador walked in to the coffe shop! The pastor said, “Wow, that is crazy because I have not seen that guy in about 5 years!” This kind of thing happens to me a lot, so I think God has been trying to tell me something. =)
A week from today I will be in Quito, Ecuador. “Mi lindo Quito”. I learned this phrase when I was translating letters that sponsored children had written about why they love Ecuador. It means “my beautiful/dear Quito”. This is truly what Ecuador became to me during the 4 months I spent there last year. Even though there were some difficult things, I don't know how it could have been a better fit. I walked into Christian music schools, doing almost exactly what I want to do, and was welcomed to teach right away. I thought this kind of school was just a dream in my head! I walked into a church full of supportive, seasoned, loving, faith-filled Christians that were a strong support network. I walked into a worship team that needed more musicians and welcomed me to play. I walked into a loving Ecuadorian family and friends whose warmth astounded me. I walked into wonderful ministries that gave me opportunities to serve and love God's children. I walked into a culture and language that exhilarates me to my shoes. My question in going to Ecuador was: “God, should I continue to pursue the vision you put in my heart in Costa Rica 10 years ago?” I believe the answer was “yes”.
So, I will be leaving for Quito on July 7! In a way, I am going later than I expected because I had originally hoped to return by January in “Plan A”, but I am also going sooner than I expected in “Plan B”, so I guess I'm going by God's “Plan C”. Amazingly, I was able to find an awesome deal on a plane ticket, and the next day, found a friend who would let me stay in her place for a great price. Incredibly, God provided a place for me to teach music in one of the music schools I taught in last time. Uncannily, my church in Ecuador could use more musicians at exactly the time I am able to come. There are some things that I will be figuring out when I get there, but I feel like I have the “ok” to go!
One of the reasons that I haven't gone to Ecuador yet is that I want to find a way to help support myself financially so that my work there will be sustainable. I still consider myself a missionary because I am entering a different culture to show the love of God, through music. I will have a more clear picture of my financial situation once I am there, but I feel encouraged that God is providing ways for me to save and earn money to help support my mission. The things I most desire in keeping you updated are prayer support and the chance to share what God is doing with all of you who have been faithful supporters—thank you! I'm sure some financial support will be needed, but I feel it is important to give you very clear information about what you are supporting and the financial needs. I will include that information in this blog as the needs arise and I am expectant to have some cool music projects that I may need to raise funds for, if you are interested in supporting in that way. My pastor at Covington Christian Fellowship, Kevin Holland, has confirmed that I can use my church account for any of my supporters who wish to donate money to my mission and you can read about how to do that in the caption of this blog.
The season between Ecuador and...well...more Ecuador has been a dry time of searching and trying whether this is really God's plan. I looked into going with a couple of other organizations that I greatly respect, but I had to make a decision of “wait”, and “not quite”, when they didn't seem to fit. This led to doubts of whether I should even go at all, but God kept my hope alive in awesome ways. He helped me find some incredible, exciting choral music that revolutionized my picture of the music my future choirs can use to share the gospel. He brought me a long-term substitute job teaching 21 sweet 1st-graders and I learned SO much (13 of them were Spanish-speakers!). He worked and formed and refined and taught my heart things I didn't know I needed to learn. I feel almost like a different person, and peaceful, inspired, excited, ready to let Him walk in me. Thank you to all of you for making this possible and being God's unconditional, overwhelming grace in my life. Please keep in touch!
Prayer Requests:
-Clarity and conviction to do what God is calling me to when I get to Ecuador.
-I would like to find a Christian elementary school that will allow me to teach music and possibly English, part-time. If anyone knows of good Ecuadorian, Christian schools, let me know!
-Children and youth will be set free from anything that is keeping them from God and will experience His love through music.