Monday, September 6, 2010

Back in Ecuador!!

The goofy grin says, "I love you, anything that has to do with Ecuador!!!" (and especially Ecuadorian food!)
A great backdrop for one of the many fruit stands here in Quito.

Weekend afternoons in Quito are my favorite times. The city seems totally transformed--everyone takes time to rest or just celebrate. In this park, you would see people and families everywhere having all kinds of fun: futbol, breakdancing, juggling, people walking on stilts, swings, merry-go-rounds, and lots of games and food.


Hello Friends!
It's hard to believe I've been in Ecuador for 2 months! I waited to update you because I wanted to know for sure what I will be doing here. In my last blog, I told you about randomly meeting a former principal of an international school here in Quito. I also told you about my long-term sub job with some awesome 1st-graders. Well, I got a full-time job at this same international school (Alliance Academy International) as a 1st-grade aide! It is so crazy to me that God specifically prepared me for this grade and that it was the position that happened to be open. Although I love teaching music and have my certification in that area, I have actually considered getting another certification in elementary education, so I consider this job a great learning opportunity.  Today was my fourth day on the job and I have so enjoyed getting to know our precious students and learning from the quality teachers I work with, many of whom have incredible missions and ministry stories. It's so amazing to work with other people who's goal is for children and young people to truly know the love of God. I am so thankful that God provided a job that is a great fit for me and also allows me to have the time and energy for other ministry opportunities.


So that's my most recent development, and it actually did develop only about two weeks ago. The rest of the summer has been full of teaching music classes at the Allegro Institute (the place where I taught on my last mission trip) and playing and singing on the worship team at my church. I have been teaching 2 music theory classes, 2 foundations in harmony classes, a class on choral direction, and individual voice lessons. I think my students are learning well, even though we have a lot of laughter as they try to learn from the quirky gringa who's Spanish is sometimes ridiculously funny. One of my favorite classes is my 2-hour, early-Saturday-morning class of about 25 very-beginning musicians (it keeps growing! =/), ages 9 to 40! It is extremely challenging trying to teach a 2-hour music theory class in Spanish, but my students are goofy and fun and everyone is just happy to be around, even though it's 9am on Saturday. But, my favorite classes to teach will always be singing classes. I feel like I just know what happens with the human voice now and I am so inspired in teaching my students how to sing.


Two weeks ago, I was able to give a music conference with the other music teachers in the beautiful coastal city of Manta. So, me and 4 long-haired, tattooed, faith-filled music guys got on a bus to drive all night to Manta! (For those of you who know me, this is kind of hilarious because I am not the kind of person to hang out with a bunch of guys, but God has seemed to place me at this school where I am the only girl teacher and He is working through my ministry there, so I'm going with it!) We led several worship services for the community and taught classes in the different instruments the guests were interested in studying. I got to teach the group voice class, which was a great experience and reminded me of the passion for teaching choir that God has been stirring in my heart for a long time, and that I believe He really confirmed during my group voice classes in Quito last year. I also had a great time getting to know my sweet host family—a mom and daughter who also love music. I came back to Quito exhausted, and not feeling quite ready to start full-time work at my new school, teach some new private students, move houses, and continue teaching my music classes. But, I also came back feeling more a part of the family at the Institute and I could actually start to understand the crazy slang the guys use!


This summer has also been full of relationships, old and new. It has been great to be a part of my church here again (English Fellowship Church). This church is such a special place, full of people who desire to serve with so much incredible variation and creativity in the different ministries they do. This legacy goes back to the Elliots, Saints, and the others who became martyrs in Ecuador during the 50s. I love seeing them fellowship together and hearing their stories. This church is also a very cool blend of Americans, Ecuadorians, Haitians, Nigerians, Koreans, Germans, Russians, and many other cultures. I will be directing an all-ages choir at this church, starting on Sept. 19 and many people have shown interest, so I think it will be exciting! I have been having a great time playing and singing on the worship team and I led worship for the first time ever on the day before my birthday. What a cool gift! I also have just been having a great time reconnecting with my friends here. Right now, I'm kind of “house-hopping”. Last week, I stayed with a family who has been serving here in Quito almost 25 years, whose daughters are good friends. This week, I'm staying with a friend who I got to know playing on the worship team last year and her sweet family (4 kids under age 5!). I am also really looking forward to moving into my semi-permanent home (5 months while the worship leader is on furlough). I'll be living with 2 awesome Christian girls who also love to sing, two operatic cats (Luciano and Andrea ;)), AND with the piano that the Elliots and friends used while they were missionaries in the jungle! (You can read about this story in Elizabeth Elliot's book, “Through Gates of Splendor”. Crazy enough, I read this book during my senior year of high school, totally unaware that I would be going to Ecuador for the first time a few months later. There is also a movie that tells the story, called “The End of the Spear”.)


I want to thank you all so much for your prayers and for supporting me in this calling God has given me. I am so amazed at what He has done and continues to do in my life here. I'm also thankful that He has provided a way for me to get a visa so I can stay here, at least 2 years, and a way to help support myself financially. I am now a missionary through RCE (Resourcing Christian Education), which is an organization that works with Alliance Academy. This means that all of my support will go through this organization now, so please note the support caption in this blog. I make a small stipend each month, but it will not be enough to cover all my expenses, so any support is appreciated! Please continue to pray for me as my schedule has become extremely busy and I am trying to listen to God on how to invest my time most effectively. Also, I still feel like God has another part of my ministry to reach young people through music that He has yet to reveal to me.  I have some great ideas about what this might be, but I want it to be God working in lives in His way.

Thank you for being a blessing in my life.


Traveling to Manta.
The Allegro music teachers and some guests who participated in the conference.
Cool pictures of how much music is a part of Ecuadorian culture.

Going paddle-boating with two of my good friends--their family has been doing missions for nearly 25 years!

I got caught taking a picture of this family--lucky they are friendly!

This mountain home is so majestic--it sometimes feels and looks like we are in the clouds.