| Field trip to the fire station! (I don't know how I captured so many hilarious faces, but we definitely have a lot of characters in 1st-grade! =)) |
The 2-year-old Milagros had that sweet look that showed she knew she was precious and should be loved. Her expression this day was heart-wrenching: wearing layers of crusty, dirty clothing in the heat, hair disheveled, and sobbing while her eyes rolled back in her head in a way that was confusing and disturbing. But the little boy was not with them. Her mom told me he was beginning to misbehave and causing problems for their family. Staggered to hear he had been left at a park a 10-minute drive from there because he had refused to come, two images came into mind. One of the little boy I know—the noble one, all surprising sweetness, teeth too big for his head. The other a nameless, faceless boy I do not know—like the vacant boy from Guatemala lost in drugs—and older boys from a gang surrounding him. (See my song, “Songs of Deliverance”, in blog 10/21/09.) I remembered my purpose and knew I had to go. Honestly, I did not know where I was going when I told the taxi driver the park—getting closer I recognized it, but the drive was full of uncertainty. Arriving, I began to open the taxi door and then miracle #2: a face staring up at me, teeth too big for his head and eyes widening in recognition, HIS HAND ON MY TAXI DOOR KNOB OPENING IT AT THE SAME MOMENT! Then came the squinty-eyed smile, his head tilted up in a way that showed he is still the noble sweetness I know. I saw he wasn't alone after all. The kind, surprised man before me protectively said he's his grandpa! He and the other man, an uncle, do not even appear poor—they appeared sane, clean, well. I saw what the source of Milagro's sadness is: living in the wake of her mom's chaos. It has always seemed there is something wrong in her mom's life, although I'm not sure what it is. I reflect that her mom was once a precious one like these children, and is still precious to a Father, and I wonder when she got lost. I believe God specifically placed that little boy in front of me as a representative of the ones I should serve. I'll never forget that God has placed his face before me.
This event has also been a confirmation for the tough decision I made to not work as a music teacher at AAI next year. I've grown to love the kids there, but something has not been fitting who I am, and Milagros and her brother's miracle really reminded me of the reasons I'm here. So, the first thing confirmed for next year is that I will be volunteering part-time as a music teacher and music therapist at For His Children, an orphanage where I volunteered in 2009. I love this ministry, truly respect the leaders, and it is something that has been on my heart throughout this year. The coolest part of For His Children is that they take in children with all kinds of disabilities. Most are adopted, but some may be a part of the orphanage their whole lives. I believe God has given me a love and understanding for children with disabilities--even this year, I most enjoy teaching one of our students who has autism. I am so excited to use music to minister to these kids with disabilities and just provide nurture and joy for kids who need extra love because they don't have parents around to bond with. I think God is doing something else that is cool with this, too: I have been asked to record in a new recording studio in our church, and I found out all the proceeds will go to For His Children! Next year, I also hope to do some music “clubs” for at-risk kids and youth and I think God is cooking up some cool things for me to do with choirs! (They aren't confirmed yet, so I'll wait until my next blog to tell about them.)
The last couple of months have been FULL! Every day is busy, but I've also been performing almost every weekend in some way: concerts, weddings, coffee shops, worship team. The coolest one was a fund-raiser the Casa G guys did. They are supporting a ministry to girls who have been involved in sex trafficking, some as young as 12 from what they have told me. They asked me to play and God gave me a song for the event! It was interesting trying to write it between everything else, and I didn't finish until 11:30pm the night before, but I was amazed at how God was speaking in the process (See my blog from 4/10/11 to read lyrics). I tried to write it like a letter to a girl who has been through this and it was hard to know what to say, except to speak the Father's heart (hence the title). I pray God will keep the tragedy of this world-wide problem fresh in my mind, and in all of our minds, and He will show us what we can do. I also was able to buy the notation software I needed—thanks for your help! So, I spent some time locked in my room and notated more a cappella songs. Although, they are on hold right now because we are working on gospel music in the Allegro choir! =) Last Sunday, our church choir joined with the Haitian church to sing Amazing grace and 2 songs in Creole and French! It has been interesting trying to communicate, but it was a truly amazing experience for all of us. We had singers from Ecuador, Haiti, the U.S., Canada, Nigeria and Germany all in one choir. The funnest parts for me were being in the rehearsals together!
I am always thankful for your prayers. =) Lately, it has been a combination of feeling blessed by all God is doing in my life, but also run-down. Even though it is good to be where God wants me, it is never easy—a weird paradox! A friend and I got robbed on the street the other day, and although the two men were sort of violent with him (they didn't hit him, but physically forced him to give up his things), they never even looked at me (me being the light-haired gringa with the gigantic purse)! I gave them some cash voluntarily, but it was amazing to feel like I had an invisible shield around me. So, thank God for protecting me and please pray for continued protection and wisdom. I would also like prayer for my relationships. I have been feeling like they have been hard lately, which is not anything new because I am really an introverted person, but it can truly be a big burden for me. Thank you so much for praying! Thanks also for keeping in touch and I would love to hear from you (although it may take me a while to respond sometimes). I hope I will see many of you this summer and God bless you and yours!
| Precious |